Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Andy Monument in Union Square

Did you know Andy Warhol’s Factory was situated in Union Square from 1968 to 1984? I didn’t; until I discovered this beautiful silver monument picturing the artist in one of my favorite public spaces.

The area was the location where Warhol and his collaborators reinvented the conventional artist’s studio, producing, among other things, silkscreen paintings, films and magazines. 


“Like so many other artists and performers and people who don’t fit in because they’re gay or otherwise different, Andy moved here to become who he was, to fulfill his dreams and make it big. He still represents that courage and that possibility. That’s why I came to New York, and that’s what my Andy Monument is about.”

- Rob Pruitt, the artist who created the monument

The Andy Monument will be in Union Square until September 4th, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment