Tuesday, October 25, 2011

The “two months with two suitcases” challenge

This week is my last in my Montreal apartment. For the next two or three months, I will experience temporary housing as we are first moving into a temporary apartment here in Montreal (until we get our Visa approved – unexpected delay) and then to another one in New York, until we find our own place.

In brief, I’ll be living in my luggage for at least two months. Given this, I have to find a balance between having the things I need without lugging around too much stuff. It is particularly difficult for clothing, as I like to have choices when dressing up… especially in NYC.

Because of this, I’ve decided to do what I call “involuntary simplicity”. You got it: it is the same as voluntary simplicity but its forced upon you. What a challenge for a girl like me: two months with only two suitcases to pack clothing, coats (for fall and winter), accessories, shoes (yes, really!), sportswear, makeup, hairdryer, books, toiletries and all my other personal effects.

Ok, I know that this is not real simplicity, and lots of you, like my husband, will tell me that it should be easy. But I keep thinking that I’ll have to be smart about what to bring…

What would you unconditionally put in your suitcase if you were me?

No comments:

Post a Comment